Smith Family Burritos
I always thought this recipe was Aunt Ellie’s, but it turns out it was Granny’s, although my dad claims to have been the inspiration, saying that their regular brisket needed some beans added.
Smith Family Burritos
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 30 minutes
- 5-6 lb. Brisket, trimmed of large fat pockets
- 12 oz. Beer
- 28 oz. Tomatoes, diced
- 2-14 oz. Pinto beans with Jalapeños
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 lb. Ground Beef
- Packet Chili Mix (McCormick)
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Make chili: Brown ground beef, remove fat. Pour in chili mix packet, beer, tomatoes and pinto beans. Cook according to chili mix packet specifications.
- Salt and pepper the brisket. Place in a dutch oven and pour chili over the brisket.
- Place dutch oven in the oven for 6 hours. (You can leave it in for an hour or two longer if the brisket is too tough.)
- Remove from oven. Shred and top with burrito toppings.
Jennifer Smith Greene is originally from and lives currently in Burbank, California with her husband Gavin Greene.
Jenny completed her undergraduate degree from Woodbury University in Graphic Design. She has worked as a graphics & web designer, both as an in-house and freelance designer. She also has completed a Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree from Princeton Theological Seminary. She has worked as a hospital chaplain and in support roles in various churches.
In her spare time, Jenny enjoys watercolor painting. She has taken classes and workshops under Joseph Stoddard, Tom Fong, Danny Gregory and Jane Friend.
Additionally, Jenny is active in the community and volunteers her time on the Board of Family Promise of East San Fernando Valley, a social service nonprofit dedicated to helping homeless children and their families by providing shelter and support services to help the families find jobs and housing.
Jenny enjoys reading (and highly recommends the site Goodreads), watching movies, playing softball and tennis and taking walks with her husband.
Otherwise, Jenny is always curious to find out about those people who come to her site and would love to hear from you!