I always thought this recipe was Aunt Ellie’s, but it turns out it was Granny’s, although my dad claims to have been the inspiration, saying that their regular brisket needed some beans added.
Smith Family Burritos
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 30 minutes
- 5-6 lb. Brisket, trimmed of large fat pockets
- 12 oz. Beer
- 28 oz. Tomatoes, diced
- 2-14 oz. Pinto beans with Jalapeños
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 lb. Ground Beef
- Packet Chili Mix (McCormick)
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Make chili: Brown ground beef, remove fat. Pour in chili mix packet, beer, tomatoes and pinto beans. Cook according to chili mix packet specifications.
- Salt and pepper the brisket. Place in a dutch oven and pour chili over the brisket.
- Place dutch oven in the oven for 6 hours. (You can leave it in for an hour or two longer if the brisket is too tough.)
- Remove from oven. Shred and top with burrito toppings.