I found this recipe listed in The Week, which found it in the LA Times. I decided to make it because it calls for balsamic vinegar, and I happen to have a small quantity of strawberry white balsamic vinegar that I don’t know what to do with. In this recipe, I used the whipping cream. The recipe was easy to make and tasty – if you like a certain tang of a vinegar aftertaste. The recipe notes indicate that this can be done with other fruits such as peaches and nectarines.
- 2 lbs. Strawberries, hulled & cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1-1/2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Mascarpone or whipping cream
- In a large bowl, toss strawberries in 1/3 cup sugar, orange juice, and balsamic vinegar until evenly coated. Taste and add more sugar if needed. The mixture should be quite sweet, as freezing will dull the flavors.
- Spread berries on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer and freeze until solid, about 2 hours.
- Scrape frozen berries into a food processor, add mascarpone (or whipping cream) and pulse frequently, until creamy (about 3 minutes). Eventually the mixture will become smooth.
- Serve immediately or spoon into a covered dish and freeze to stiffen before serving. If mixture becomes too solid, thaw slightly, cut into small chunks, return to food processor and pulse until creamy.