Another winner from the Dinner A Love Story cookbook, which needs to be saved.
Braised Pork Ragu with Pappardelle
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 35 minutes
- 2 to 2-1/2 lb. Boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 small Onion
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 2 TBSP Olive oil
- 1 small pat Butter
- 1 28oz. can Whole tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup Red wine
- 5 sprigs Fresh thyme
- 5 sprigs Fresh oregano
- Small handful Fennel seeds
- 1 TBSP Hot sauce, for smokiness (I used Tabasco)
- Pappardelle (or Fettuccine)
- Freshly grated parmesean
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Liberally salt and pepper the pork roast.
- Add oil and butter to large Dutch oven and heat over medium-high until butter melts, but does not burn. Add pork roast to pan and brown on all sides, about 8-10 minutes in all.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, wine, thyme, oregano, fennel, and hot sauce and bring to a boil.
- Cover, and put in oven. Braise for 3-4 hours, turning every hour or so. Add more liquid (water, wine or tomato sauce) if needed. (The liquid should come to about 1/3 of the way up the pork.)
- Meat is done when it\'s practically falling apart. Put on a cutting board and pull it apart with two forks, then add back to the pot and stir.
- Cook pasta according to package. When it\'s ready, put into individual bowls and top with the pork and lots of parmesan.