Carrie lent me her copy of the Dinner a Love Story cookbook earlier this year. I read it at the beginning of summer and really enjoyed it, which was no surprise because I like the blog as well. I bookmarked a few recipes and have been trying to make them before I return the book to her. I made this one and Gavin especially enjoyed it, even though it has peas! This was pretty easy and good to keep for something different.
Arroz con Pollo
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Serving Size: 4
- 1 TBSP Dried oregano
- 1-1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp Chili powder
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 to 5 Boneless chicken thighs (or breasts), patted dry
- Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 Jalapeño (small), minced and seeded
- 1-1/2 cups Uncooked rice
- 1 can (15 oz) Tomato puree
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- Handful Frozen peas
- Handful Grape tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375
- Combine the oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper and rub the mixture all over the chicken, pressing it so it sticks on all sides of the chicken. (Use all of the spice mixture.)
- In a large pot (like a Dutch Oven), cook the chicken in a few glugs of vegetable oil over medium-high heat until browned on both sides. Transfer the chicken to a bowl.
- To the pot, add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño and cook about 1 minute over medium-low heat, making sure garlic doesn\'t burn.
- Add the rice to the pot, turn up to medium high, and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree, broth, peas, grape tomatoes and chicken. Bring to a simmer, cover, and transfer into the oven. Bake 30 minutes, or until the chicken has been cooked through and the rice is tender.