I had this Bon Appetit recipe on the fridge for YEARS before finally getting around to trying it. The result is that it was a keeper!
Spiced Beef Stew with Carrots and Mint
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 2 Servings
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil, divided
- 12 oz. Beef Tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup Shallots, sliced (about 3 large)
- 8 oz. Baby Carrots, peeled
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 2-1/2 cups Beef Broth
- 1/4 cup Fresh Mint
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Add beef to skillet and sauté until cooked to desired doneness, about 2 minutes for medium-rare.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer beef to bowl. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to skillet.
- Add shallots and carrots and sauté until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add all spices; stir 30 seconds. Sprinkle flour over; stir 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until carrots are just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Return beef to skillet; cook until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Season stew to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped mint.
- Transfer stew to bowls. Sprinkle with chopped mint, if desired, and serve.