We have made these pancakes many times and love the recipe. But recently the LA Times’ formatting has gotten a bit wonky, so I am transferring the recipe here for ease of reading.
Chunky Apple Pancakes with Cinnamon Butter
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yield: About 16 4-inch pancakes
- Cinnamon Butter
- 1/4 cup Butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- Apple Pancakes
- 2 medium Apples, peeled & cored
- 1 cup (4.25 oz) Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Melted Butter or Oil
- To prepare the Cinnamon Butter: In a large bowl using a whisk, beat together the butter, powdered sugar and cinnamon until blended. Cover and chill until needed
- To prepare the Pancakes: Cut the apples into thin slices, then cut each slice into one-half-inch lengths.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg, milk and melted butter or oil.
- Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and stir until smooth, then stir in the apple pieces.
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat until hot. Lightly grease the griddle and spoon about one-half cup of batter onto the griddle, spreading it into a 4-inch round. Cook until the bottom is browned, then flip and cook until the other side is browned and the pancake is cooked through. Serve with the cinnamon butter.