The Splendid Table posted a recipe recently for Cherry Garcia Ice Cream. Considering I am such a fan of Cherry Garcia and I happened to have cherries, I thought I’d make it. I thought the ice cream was very good, but I’m not sure it really tasted like Cherry Garcia. I liked it enough to keep the recipe and am typing it down here so that I can have it in case they take it off of their website, which I have noticed that they are sometimes inclined to do.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 1-1/2 quarts
- 1/4 cup Shaved plain chocolate
- 1/4 cup Fresh bing cherries
- 2 Eggs, large
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Heavy or whipping cream
- 1 cup Milk
- Place the shaved chocolate flakes (I used chopped chocolate chips, but think it might have been better to get them closer to the shaved consistency) and cherries in the same bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze (for us, it takes about 25 minutes)
- After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it\'s done), add the chocolate and the cherries, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.