I got this recipe from my produce box, Abundant Harvest Organics. Posting it here so that I can keep track of it and make it again — SO DELICIOUS! So far I have put it on my grilled cheese sandwich and put a bit on a cracker with cream cheese. Although, honestly, I would probably even be content to eat this straight from the jar.
Sweet Red Onion Marmalade
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1/2 cup
- 1/2 T Butter
- 1 Sweet red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 Small clove of garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 t Salt
- 1/2 t Pepper
- 1/4 cup Red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Dry red wine
- Melt a half tablespoon of butter in a sauce pan.
- Add one sweet red onion (thinly sliced), a small clove of garlic (minced), sugar, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes until the onion has browned.
- Add red wine vinegar (I did half red wine vinegar and white wine vinegar because I ran out of red wine vinegar) and dry red wine (I used port because I didn\'t have any red wine handy). Cook for about 10 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed by the onions and the mixture is sticky.
- Let marmalade cool then use on grilled cheese or roast beef sandwiches, over meat dishes, or with soft cheese and crackers. It should last in the fridge for a couple of weeks.