>Well, as many of you are aware, I did not post my watercolor painting from my class last week. This is because I was in class long enough only to draw the still life — I had to leave early to attend a luncheon for the nonprofit of which I am president. So, this week I worked on the painting from a photo I took before I left class.
The finished painting is to the right. On a side note, I recently bought a new all-in-one printer/scanner/copier that does larger format scans. My initial scans were positive, but then I noticed that the colors were slightly off and in this painting I can definitely tell that the scan quality is poor. In this painting, I discovered that the scanner cannot pick up on light colors, so the scan looks really washed out, and is more yellow than it should be. The background looks like it’s pure yellow — in actuality, the painting background is a mixture of yellows and orange. So–this is disappointing. I am going to return the printer and think about buying a (very expensive) large format scanner that can capture these colors more accurately.
Anyway, when I was painting the succulent throughout the week, I thought that the painting was ok (although the leaf up front really needs some work…not satisfied with it, really), but too cool. I think the yellows and orange in the background really warm up the painting and help bring out the yellow and orange details that I put in the succulent.
In today’s class, the teacher displayed a really neat, massive purply-pink succulent nested in a straw hat. I really enjoyed drawing the various curly/pointy leaves and then had a lot of fun laying down the various colors. I didn’t fully finish the painting, but have laid down the colors so far. Now my plan will be to create the detail needed to make the painting pop. The painting is to the right–I will update once I finish the detailing. I’m really undecided so far whether to add another background beyond the hat–it might be too much, but then again, it might add a little something.
I’ve finished a few more sections of my new website, but added a few more sections to fill-out, as well! It’s madness!! The website is here (http://jsgreene.com/new) and the finalized sections within the design section are the last five sections: flyers, invitations, logos, posters and websites. I just noticed a broken link in the flyers section, which I will fix, but if you notice anything that needs to be addressed, please let me know!
Also, good news–my cousin, who hosts my website, says that he can make my blog hosted on my website, so once my website is finished, then I will work on transferring over my blog, which means that I’ll be able to fix the blog design to be easier to read!